POKERSTARS AND PROSTATE CANCER UK JOIN FORCES TO LAUNCH ‘LADS NIGHT IN’
Win the chance to play in Jake Cody’s VIP home game
ONCHAN, Isle of Man – July 27, 2015 – PokerStars, an Amaya Inc. (Nasdaq: AYA; TSX: AYA) brand, and leading men’s health charity Prostate Cancer UK, today announced they are joining forces for a special one-night event in a bid to raise money to fight prostate cancer.
Lads Night In, which will take place on September 25, 2015, is aimed at encouraging thousands of men across the UK to gather together in their own homes for bravado, banter and beers all in the name of charity. The participants will then donate their home game prize pool to Prostate Cancer UK to help more men survive prostate cancer and enjoy a better quality of life.
To get involved people are being asked to sign up online at the Lads Night In website. Everyone who registers will receive a special Lads Night In pack, with a few gifts including a deck of cards, donated by PokerStars that can be used to play an unforgettable game with friends.
Team PokerStars Pro Jake Cody has announced his backing of the venture and will be hosting his own VIP Lads Night In home game in London for five friends to win.
Jake said: “Lads Night In is a really fun way to raise money and awareness for an amazing cause. If you want to be in with a chance to win a VIP Lads Night In experience in London, including travel and accommodation, sign up to Lads Night In then tweet using #JCLadsNightIn explaining who your dream opponent(s) is and why. I’ll then pick my favourite, based upon the most meaningful, witty or creative!”
Lads Night In is one of a number of new initiatives launched by Prostate Cancer UK as part of its ongoing ‘Men United’ campaign - for everyone who believes men are worth fighting for. Funds raised from the home games across the country will go towards ground-breaking research that could lead to earlier diagnosis and better treatments, as well as much-needed support services.
Owen Sharp, Chief Executive at Prostate Cancer UK said: “Prostate cancer kills one man every hour. We’re doing everything we can to change this, but it’s a numbers game and we urgently need more help if we are going to reduce the number of lives being cut short by this disease. That’s why we are calling on as many people as possible to get involved, raise funds over a friendly game of poker, and help beat this silent killer once and for all.
“We’re proud to be partnering with PokerStars. The ethos of our Men United campaign is all about reaching out to men on their own turf, to inspire action for men’s health, and with a predominantly male player base it’s a natural fit. With PokerStars’ backing, we can reach a huge pool of men to raise awareness about prostate cancer and motivate a whole new community.”
Sue Hammett, Head of Corporate Giving at PokerStars, said: “One in eight men in the UK will develop prostate cancer in their lifetime. Poker is a male-dominated game and around one in five men have played poker in the UK. PokerStars is in constant contact with tens of thousands of men every day and this partnership will be invaluable in terms of spreading awareness and educating men about prostate cancer, raising money for Prostate Cancer UK and ultimately saving lives.”
PokerStars will be carrying out a number of other promotional activities and competitions including Jake’s home game as part of the partnership, details of which are to be unveiled in coming weeks. Stay tuned to the PokerStars Blog.
Regarding Lads Night In: Full information about Lads Night In including terms and conditions as well as how to get involved can be found here: http://prostatecanceruk.org/ladsnightin Regarding the Jake Cody Home Game competition:
- The promotion is open to over 18 UK residents who have registered for Lads Night In at http://prostatecanceruk.org/ladsnightin.
- The winner and four friends will play a VIP home game hosted by Jake Cody in central London, with complimentary travel and one night’s hotel accommodation.
- Enter by tweeting your dream poker table with the #JCLadsNightIn hashtag or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘JC Lads Night In’.
- Visit the PokerStars Blog for further information and terms and conditions: http://psta.rs/LadsNightIn.
About Men United and Prostate Cancer UK:
- Men United is Prostate Cancer UK’s movement for everyone who believes that men are worth fighting for, to help us beat prostate cancer and keep friendships alive. Over 200,000 people engaged with Men United in 2014.
- Search Men United, or visit prostatecanceruk.org/menunited
- Prostate Cancer UK works to get men in all areas of the country the early detection, effective diagnosis and better treatments that will beat this disease.
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men. More than 10,000 men die every year from this male-only disease, and 330,000 men are living with prostate cancer in the UK.
- Anyone with concerns about prostate cancer can contact Prostate Cancer UK’s Specialist Nurses in confidence on 0800 074 8383 or via the online Live chat, instant messaging service: www.prostatecanceruk.org. The Specialist Nurse phone service is free to landlines and open from 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday with late opening until 8pm on Wednesdays.
Regarding Lads Night In: We are running Lads Night In within legal regulations and with Gambling Commission approval, under the terms of our Gambling License. We have also made clear that we are not encouraging people to gamble for money, rather to have a friendly game of poker and donate 100% of the ‘pot’ to us. We are signposting people to gambleaware.co.uk for information about responsible gambling.
PokerStars operates the world’s most popular online poker sites, serving the global poker community. Since it launched in 2001, PokerStars has become the first choice of players all over the world, with more daily tournaments than anywhere else and with the best security online.
PokerStars is the key brand of Rational Group, which operates gaming-related businesses and brands, including PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker and the European Poker Tour. PokerStars is owned by Amaya Inc. (Nasdaq: AYA; TSX: AYA).
Helping Hands is PokerStars Corporate Giving Programme which was launched in 2013 and has contributed more than $7 million to charities around the world.