The Role : Lead Site Reliability Engineer
We created the world’s largest publicly-listed gaming company by merging Sky Betting & Gaming with The Stars Group in 2018 and now we’re on a mission to create the ultimate online betting experience for millions of customers around the world.
Come and join a new team to build exciting new products featuring rock-solid stability, high velocity code-shipping and ground-breaking innovation. We’re lean, we’re agile, and devops is at the centre of everything we do! And you’re in good company: you’ll be standing on the shoulders of the giants who created the most popular apps and products of their kind.
Why join the team?
You’ll work on the most critical, strategic projects at the heart of the world’s largest public online gaming business, with funding and opportunities to match our huge ambition
It’s your chance to work on greenfield developments where you’ll build and run new products that will ultimately be used by millions around the world, building on your career so far and learning new tech skills to solve problems that only exist at this scale
You’ll be part of the award-winning Sky Betting & Gaming and Stars Group tech family, working with the best product and technology professionals, learning new skills and developing yourself in new ways.
What you will do
GSTP’s SRE function is creating a world-class operations environment and working towards running many services as 2nd-line support.
We believe in the Google mantra of SRE splitting their time between operations work and development work, though for now, there’s less operations and more development.
A senior SRE will help shape this environment and build the conditions for healthy operations.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Line managing and Leading a team of Senior SRE and SRE engineers
- Input and influence are technical operations and service strategy
- Own the delivery of key strategic projects across the department
- Mentoring other squads in operational readiness and SRE-ready services
- Technical leadership of complex, cross-company projects to deliver operational improvements
- Setting the benchmarks for service standards and driving change to implement them
- Provide guidance and teaching to other operational staff
- Supporting (as 2nd-line) a broad range of systems (just those built to our standards) that operate across multiple time zones
- Providing incident analysis, error budget analysis
- Leading major incidents from a technical perspective
Lead SREs are arguably a type of Lead DevOp, and we look for a similar skillset. Your chances improve with everything you match against these lists:
Skills of a Lead SRE
- Working with teams across multiple time zones and cultures
- Line Management
- Agile Delivery
- Years of Linux/*nix engineering and administration
- Incident handling and pragmatic operational decisions
- CI technologies (Jenkins in particular) and CI best practice
- Docker/Kubernetes/VMware proficiency
- Monitoring and alerting expertise (Prometheus, Graphite, Zabbix, Cloudwatch)
- Capability in a few programming languages (Nodejs, Go, Java/Kotlin useful)
Behaviours of a Lead SRE
- A pragmatic, risk-based approach to quality
- Brings understanding and operational sense to teams
- Working to get insight on everything that matters
- Not letting people do a boring task twice – automate where possible
- A desire to foster improvements both in themselves and others
- A desire to understand how everything works, from electrons to software patterns
- A passion for building and developing high performing teams
- Simplify complex problems into manageable work for teams and individuals
- Explain complex technical problems to business teams
Group Sports & Trading Platform
The Stars Group brands have more than 111 million registered customers, forming one of the largest online gaming businesses in the world. From our base in Sofia & Leeds we are building the next generation sports betting platform which will bring innovation and performance fit for strong growth in our many global markets.
Much of the platform is truly greenfield, with the best modern technologies and practices being at our disposal. Engineers at all levels have a part to play in our tech decisions and choices. You will be self-motivated and willing to contribute to design at all levels, listening and learning from the talented people around you.
Together we’ll deliver the Technology that will launch leading edge products into new markets whilst scaling up quickly and cost effectively. Be part of an industry-leading team renowned for delivering customer centric products; our success will help drive Sports revenue growth throughout the Group.
What’s in it for you?
The salary for this job is based on experience, so whilst we are not able to go into detail at this stage, we can say that we offer great salary packages and a discretionary annual performance bonus. We can also provide advice and dedicated assistance to those moving to Leeds.
We offer health and dental insurance for you, your partner and your children (if you all live at the same address). You can make the most of our personal interest allowance in order to learn something new or pursue a hobby. If you have a baby whilst you work for us, we will give you 1000 GBP as congratulations.
In addition to that, we provide the opportunity for a discounted gym membership.
Our in-house training and development team deliver fantastic support in terms of developing your skills and helping you progress your career.
What happens next?
We will aim to get back to you as soon as possible. If you meet the criteria, then we’ll invite you to a phone interview and if that goes well we’ll meet you for a face-to-face interview
The Stars Group is the ultimate owner of industry leading gaming brands such as PokerStars, PokerStars Casino, BetStars, Full Tilt, and the PokerStars Live brands, and through its ownership of Sky Betting & Gaming, a mobile-led leading online gaming operator, licenses the Sky Bet, Sky Vegas, Sky Casino, Sky Bingo and Sky Poker online gaming brands. Collectively, these and other brands of The Stars Group have millions of registered customers globally, forming one of the world’s largest publicly listed online gaming companies. This role is in the Group’s Leeds service office in the Group Sportsbook department.